© 2020 ascent soy candles

safety first

March 31, 2018

It breaks my heart every time I see an article in the news about a house burning down; People losing their loved ones and everything they've worked so hard to get all sparked by forgetting about something as small as a candle.


Some of my closest friends and family members have had some very scary close-encounters with candle-burning accidents. I couldn't imagine my life without them, and I'm so relieved to know that they were able to take care of the situation before it got out of hand.


I actually wasn't allow to burn candles in my home for the first 2 decades of my life because we had animals - specifically cats - who got into absolutely everything! The reason I started this candle business was purely selfish, actually - at least in the beginning. I was finally in a pet-free home and I wanted to light my candles responsibly, now that I finally attained that freedom, yet I couldn't really afford the candles on the market. Not only that, but I couldn't walk into a store to shop for the candles I thought I wanted without contracting a throbbing headache. I did the necessary research to select my ingredients carefully because of my allergies and asthma (and yes, I am allergic to animals, too, but that certainly doesn't stop me from loving them!) The rest is history...


The main point I want to make is that candles should be used with care and attention so that they do not lead to an accidental fire or injury. I am in no way saying that you can't light candles if you have pets, but please use your best judgement in the situation. You know your pet's personality better than anyone, and if he or she has particularly curious, jumpy or clumsy traits, you will need to find creative (safe) places to light your candles.


We do our best to urge consumers to be careful and responsible when burning candles, as we understand that these small flames can turn into wildfires if not cared for properly. In fact, because we're so passionate about this cause, we came up with our no-strings-attached collection, which is our wick-free candle line. These can be used on and candle warmer you have at home, and they eliminate the risk of having an open flame in your home, no matter how small. I've found that these carry a scent for a very long time and make for an excellent alternative. That said, you will still need to be creative and put this in a part of the house that your dog, cat or child cannot reach (the wax is hot when it melts down to liquid). 


In an effort to make each customer aware of the safety rules, we place care instructions on the bottom label of each of our candles. We're also placing these rules below for you to reference any time:


-  trim candle wicks to ¼ inch each time before burning.

-  for the initial lighting allow the candle to create a full and even burn pool across the entire candle. for subsequent lightings, our recommended burn time is one hour per inch in diameter, but no longer than 4 hours max (for our largest candles).

-  do not leave a burning candle unattended.

-  never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.

-  keep candles out of the reach of small children and away from pets.

-  always burn candles on a heat-resistant surface.

-  keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris always.

-  keep burning candles away from drafts, vents and ceiling fans to minimize smoking or a wick blowing out causing the candle to burn unevenly.

-  never touch a burning candle or move a candle when the wax is liquid.

-  do not use our paper caps to extinguish the candle.

-  make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.  


Stay bright! (and safe!)


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Recent Posts

November 27, 2018

March 31, 2018

March 24, 2018

Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags